Secrets, Lies & Chat

Saturday, October 08, 2005

An Australian Movie - The Proposition

Saturday night, 8 October 2005. Arrived home a short while ago after having visited Penrith Plaza Hoyts Theatres to see 'The Proposition', a new Australian movie starring Guy Pearce.

As is the normal for Australian movies screening in Australia, there weren't many patrons in the theatre and you could choose just about anywhere to sit that you wanted. It's a real shame that we do not support our own creativity, and a sign of a trait in Australians that stems from a long way back. We are the biggest knockers of our own people I'm sure of any country in the world. No matter how hard you try, how well you may do, try and gain recognition here at home and you will soon have your teeth kicked in, and you will be put in your place, or where your fellow Australians believe is your place.

As usual I thoroughly enjoyed the local product. It showed our country for what it was, and really, in the remote areas it was filmed, still is. It's a harsh dry country where only flies should live. Anyone who looks at a map of Australia will see that we all live around the coast, and mostly in the larger cities too. Very few live in the centre, or in the very hot regions up north, or the very cold regions down south.

The film reminded me of another Australian movie I saw a long time ago 'The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith'. It was a raw and cruel movie too, and yet, if you read about our past, then the films are pretty well spot on without creating dramas that didn't exist. Men were cruel in those days, and those who were supposed to be upholding the law, were evil and often worse than any of the so called perpetrators or criminals.

I would imagine that a lot of people wouldn't go to see the movie because of its starkness and the reality of it. Many would choose to believe our past is not like that. I choose to see movies that shock my senses because I know that in the main what they are portraying is a true rendition of what did happen in this country. I'm Irish heritage, and I feel it when I see movies about the Irish families in this country and what they went through to survive. My great grandparents arrived here from Ireland as dirt farmers, and my family history is one of hardship. But no one will ever destroy the Irishness in any of us, not even fourth generation like me.

I recommend this movie to those who aren't afraid to step outside their safety circle, who are thinkers and believers, and who choose to believe that our past should be remembered, as should those that were treated so cruelly. It may be fiction, but this kind of thing happened with regularity. The Aboriginal people were slaughtered, and the white people were slaughtered in retaliation. The English white preyed upon the Irish and others, and that's all part of our history as well. The oppression of the Irish in Ireland travelled to our shores with them, because their lords and masters were over here running this country.

So if you aren't afraid of the sight of fake blood, of mutilated bodies, of raw evil coming from man towards man and woman, then go see the movie. The setting is spectacular, the scenery is savage and yet, in its way, beautiful. It's like Ned Kelly, Jedda, Jimmy Blacksmith all rolled up together.

As an Australian I applaud Nick Cave for his script and all those involved in the movie. I would judge that this is definitely the best movie I've seen Guy Pearce in, and he played a very believable part. Congratulations to all involved, and I just hope that the Australian movie goers get off their rear ends and go support you by paying for a ticket.

Vena

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home