Secrets, Lies & Chat

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Interview with Channel 7 Today Tonight (9.2.05)

I received a call from the Melbourne office of Channel 7 Today Tonight on Tuesday 8.2.05 asking if I could arrange to be available the next day for the interview.

The original story that was to have been filmed was canned but a storyline had come up that it was decided I would be ideal to participate in.

The story will be about lying ... is it okay to lie and if so, when?

My participation, of course, was to be about lying on the Internet, with the question being asked 'is it easy to lie on the Internet? Has it opened up a new arena for people to lie about themselves and their lives?'

The interviewer, cameraman and assistant arrived at my home at 3.30 pm today (9.2.05) and once the lights were set up, the camera was ready, and the interview area set up, the interview began. I had spent 24 hours nervously wondering what on earth I had gotten myself into and as 3.30 approached I again asked myself .. why? However all went well and I actually enjoyed the experience. Once the camera started rolling with the light boring down on me in the hotseat, I forgot about why and concentrated on doing the best job I could with the opportunity afforded me.

I found it easy to talk because I knew my subject. I didn't need reference notes and I only stumbled a couple of times I recall and the phone rang once so we had to retrack a little. I said a lot and I know only a little will go to air, but my main aim was to promote my book and if they follow through with their promise, this will happen. The book was displayed on black fabric that highlighted the green colour of the cover and a light was partly shone on the cover to enhance it. It looked very spiffy up there in lights and I think I fell in love with it, finally.

The guys took a lot of time with setting up various shots and the time passed with ease and friendliness. My daughter and granddaughter (aged 10) were there as my audience and support team, and they were excited about being part of the show, even just as onlookers. My grandy can't wait to get to school tomorrow to tell all her friends about how her Nan is going to be on TV.
I shudder to think what I will look like and my daughter said that it wouldn't matter what I looked like I would always be my most critical critic. And she is right.

At the conclusion of the interview I was congratulated by the Channel 7 team on a job well done. John, the guy who interviewed me (I wish I could remember his last name) told me, when I said I hoped that some of the interview would make it to air, that he knew who the star of the segment would be and to have no doubts, it would make the screen.

So here's hoping. I had one shot at it and I gave it my best one, for my book, and for all those that I hope read it and learn from it.

I was told that the segment could appear on the Today Tonight show either tomorrow Thursday 10.2.05 or possibly Friday 11.2.05. So all you readers who are in Australia, keep a look out for my book in lights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home